[TowerTalk] 160m vertical feed point impedance?

John fraz1 at bellsouth.net
Tue Dec 28 08:29:57 PST 2010

I'm using an Autek RF-1 to attempt to measure ballpark impedance at the antenna feed point.

The antenna is a coil loaded (50' level) 75' vertical, with 34 radials.  I read 116 ohms, which I question!  Even with the mediocre ground system, I think it would be considerably lower than that.  At the end of a 100' foot run of 50 ohm coax, the impedance reads 34 ohms.  That seems to be more likely correct?  I inserted an un-un (38 ohm to 50 ohm) at the feed point and the impedance at the end of the feed line is now reading 50 ohms.  SOOOOOO, it would appear the impedance reading at the end of the coax is correct.

What do the gurus think?

Thanks, and 73 John W4II