[TowerTalk] Length of Sloper?

RLVZ at aol.com RLVZ at aol.com
Wed Dec 29 15:59:01 PST 2010

Hi Guys,

I'm installing an 80-meter Sloper on a self-supporting 60'  tower.  (no
guys)  I don't have a MFJ-259 or other antenna bridge  with me so I'd
appreciate your thoughts to help get me in the ballpark.   The 80-meter Sloper will
attach to the tower at the 55'  level.  Currently there are no other antennas
on the 60' tower.   A couple questions:

1) With no other antennas on the 60' tower, do you think the length of the
Sloper wire will be close to the formula 234/freq?  Or do you think  the
Sloper will wind up needing to be  longer or shorter than  234/freq?

2) The once I get the Sloper tuned for minimum SWR on 80-meters, if I later
 add a Tribander to the top of the tower I'll no doubt need to re-tune  the
Sloper, but do you think the Sloper will need to be shortened or
lengthened after the Yagi is added?

Thanks & 73,

Dick- K9OM