[TowerTalk] Aluminum clad wire

Grant Saviers grants2 at pacbell.net
Wed Dec 29 23:14:10 PST 2010

I've been looking for aluminum clad steel wire for an antenna project
and this led finally to a source for aluminum clad high tensile steel
($90 for 3000'  11 ga).  Certainly a LOT cheaper than copper or
copperweld alternatives.

http://www.kencove.com/fence/Aluminum+Clad+Wire+11-11.5+Gauge_detail_WAC11.php

It took quite a bit of googling to find this, but now the question is
why not use this for all wire antennas because it is cheap, very
strong,  low-stretch, and corrosion resistant, although a little hard to
bend.  One spool would make a lot of really tough through the woods
Beveridges!  Also, there a number of horse fencing products that could
be useful for wire antennas.

There are some assumptions with this farm supplier, i.e. Al thickness is
good enough for RF.  I found makers of well specified (ASTM B-415
Hard-Drawn Aluminum-Clad Steel Wire) Al clad guy, ground, and shield
wires for electric power distribution but the sizes and quantities per
spool are rather large and I couldn't find any retail sources.  One tm
is Alumoweld.

Anybody know of sources for Al clad steel wire suitable for antenna use?

Grant
KZ1W