[TowerTalk] (parallel) Coax Loss

john at kk9a.com john at kk9a.com
Thu Feb 4 17:58:13 PST 2010

It's 5dB per 100 feet so 200 feet has 10dB loss.  This is why coax choice is
important for long runs.

I wonder what happens if you run two parallel coax lines.  Lets say we are
using your coax and have 10dB loss in 200 feet.  If I run 200 watts to it,
I'll have 20 watts at the antenna.  If I run two 200 foot parallel coax
lines (and match the impedance at each end)  I am feeding each coax with 100
watts and have 10 watts (10dB loss) at the end which combines to 20 watts at
the antenna.   Is there really no advantage to having the additional coax
cable?  A more practical example of this is having a stack of beams and
running coax from each one to the shack, vs a single feedline to the tower
and then split to each antenna.

John KK9A