[TowerTalk] FW: Guy article in CQ

Roger (K8RI) K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Thu Jan 14 21:28:20 PST 2010

I'm sure there many on here who know more about this than I do and could
likely phrase it better.
Guy wires serve one purpose. That is to keep the tower vertical,
although you could within the same  vein say they also prevent
oscillations and need to be spaced such as to prevent said oscillations.

To operate properly the wire angles should be such that "all in any
particular tier" have the same vertical and horizontal vector tension.
With EHS wire which is *heavy* length is also important. Even with
Phillystran the length does not want to be long enough that the natural
resonance of the guy is any where near a resonant point in the tower. As
the tower is guyed at several heights with variable spacing/distance
between the tiers the tower will have several resonant points. These
points will not only depend on the natural resonances in the tower using
the guy points and base as pivot points for the bending moments. However
the ability of any of these points to move due to both the elasticity
and catenary of the guys will add (or subtract) from or to these natural
resonant frequencies of the tower sections.

Based on the mechanics involved I see little problem of using longer
guys when using Phillystran, at least to a point. IOW I see no problem
of using 45 degrees as the guy angle for each level. Of course this
means a guy anchor on the ground for each guy which could be a bit
inconvenient.

Usually the top guy in any installation is on the order of 60 degrees.
Changing that to 45 degrees should reduce the stress on the tower as the
translation from horizontal wind load to pul on the guy is considerable
as well as to the load on the tower in the vertical axis. That would
make the center tier much less of an angle and as long as there isn't
too much mass in the catenary to create a resonant problem it should
work, but in this case the weight of the guy line translates to a
lateral (sideways) pull on the tower. Hence a good idea to use the guy
bracket system that puts the tension on the mount and not the tower as
the tower more or less sets inside the bracket. With a 3 tier
arrangement this makes for a very low angle on the bottom tier.  Again
if using a guy bracket this puts little stress on the tower, but guy
resonances should be a concern if of EHS.

There is a lot of lattitude available when it comes to the distance from
the tower to the guy anchor base, BUT depending on the mass of the
guy/material I'd not go far without doing a stress analysis on the
tower.  Why I favor the Phillystran is the light mass puts the resonance
for even relatively long runs well above any resonances in the tower
itself of the kind that are likely to do damage. Longer runs of EHS OTOH
are massive and likely to develop resonances that can be destructive by
themselves. I've seen power and telephone lines oscillate to the point
of snapping off the power poles.

Just East of Alma MI on the North side of Lincon road  is a long run of
telephone and cable.  Quite a few years back (just shortly after being
installed) we had some strong winds that caused the lines to oscillate.
I saw them moving over 10 feet between the poles. Later that day they
actually busted off a number of the poles.  When you go through there
now there are some triangular fittings or wings attached and the
resonance has changed enough the cables move very little although it's
still noticeable.I would expect the same phenomena with a tower guying
system.

So, although I don't see any problem going longer with guy lines within
reason,  as soon as you get outside the manufacturers specs it's time to
do, or have an analysis done on the system which is not at all simple.
On aircraft with smaller parts we can do what is called a vibrational
analysis and come up with a dynamic model that will give an upper speed
limit for a particular design as configured. It also lets us rebalance
control surfaces to eliminate resonances which show up as flutter. (a
control surface vibration, or oscillation with positive feedback - not a
good thing)