[TowerTalk] FW: Guy article in CQ

Dick Green WC1M wc1m73 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 16 11:15:13 PST 2010

I agree with Roger in that the angle of the guys at each tier should be
equal -- if possible. In my case, the ground was so steep that it wasn't
possible to do this precisely for all three levels without separate anchors.
However, I equalized the angles of the top guys and managed to get the
angles of the middle and bottom guys pretty close. These are the computed
guy angles:

         Flat      East    South    Northwest
         Ground    Guy     Guy      Guy

Top      44.08     44.02   44.06    44.18
Middle   55.60     57.51   56.18    53.50
Bottom	   70.27     75.23   71.79    64.88

The East guy is uphill, the Northwest guy is downhill and the South guy is
almost flat (slightly uphill.) As you can see, the delta for the middle guys
is 2 degrees or less, and the delta for the bottom guys is 5 degrees or
less. I felt this was close enough to forego separate guy anchors.

I also agree with Dave that you need to get the tower vertical before
finalizing the tension. I plumbed and set the tension after attaching each
set of permanent guys. I felt it was important to do this in order to make
the incomplete tower safe for climbing and raising heavy sections. I think
this also makes tensioning each subsequent tier easier, because the sections
below are already plumb and can be used for visual reference.

For each section, I adjusted the guys to roughly plumb the portion of the
tower affected by those guys, with the tension at about 200 lbs. I did this
by sighting up along the three faces of the tower. It's pretty easy to see
when the tower is out of plumb. I also checked the bottom section with a
long level. Could have used a plumb line dropped from the top, but that
wasn't necessary. After getting the tower plumb, I went from anchor to
anchor, slowly increasing the tension, turning each turnbuckle the same
amount. After each round of tensioning, I re-checked the plumb and made any
necessary adjustmemnts. It took three or four trips around the anchors, plus
running in to check the tower plumb, before reaching final tension. After
installing all three sets of permanent guys, I re-checked the plumb at all
three levels (it was very close), made any necessary adjustments, then did a
final check with a transit level about 100 feet from the tower (or maybe it
was 200 feet.) As I recall, the tower was within an inch of plumb from top
to bottom without further adjustment.

Since my guys are Phillystran, I set the tension to 15% of breaking
strength. Within a few days the tension dropped back to 10% of breaking
strength, which is where I left it. The relaxation was symmetrical, so I
didn't have to make any further tension adjustments.

Photos are at www.wc1m.com under Big Tower Project.

73, Dick WC1M