[TowerTalk] SteppIR Rubber Boots

Charles Gerarden cgerarden at atomix.com
Fri Jan 22 15:04:52 PST 2010

I have 2 - 3 el steppir yagis. Boots lasted about 2-3 years. They all
ripped when taking the antenna down for a new qth. For the past 2 moves
I simply inserted the elements into the EHU, wrapped 3 layers of Scotch
33 Plus around the elements  as close to EHU body as possible. Then put
on 2 layers of the Steppir Silicone tape over that. Works much better
than boot. Didn't Steppir originally attach elements using this method?
Boots are a joke. The only really reliable products Steppir made were
the original 2-3 element beams and verts. Everything else has been an
engineering nightmare. When I first saw the new "Trombone" beams at
Dayton over two years ago, I could not stop laughing. It was like
watching spaghetti being used as a wind vane. This was in just a mild
wind. The MonstIR and the trombone beams have been a poorly received
product. Don't even ask me what I thought about the SPE SS 1K-FA amp I
bought a few years ago.

Chuck, W0DLE