[TowerTalk] LP v SteppIR

Joe - WDØM wd0m at wd0m.com
Fri Jan 22 07:07:33 PST 2010

As a guy who lives in a high density lightning strike area in southwest
Colorado, I've experienced lightning strikes on the tower with the 4L
SteppIR 30/40 add-on, at 60 feet.  The only thing lost was the control
box driver chip.  SteppIR sent a new box to me before I could even box
mine up to send to them.  They repaired and returned mine, I sent them
theirs.  Excellent service.  Thanks to surge protectors and a single
point ground system, there was no other damage to my equipment.

A friend here in CO had a lightning strike on his tower with a 40M
Cushcraft on top of a SteppIR 4L at 80 feet.  The 40M 2L beam was
damaged - a trap blew out - and the tower had to be lowered for repair.
Nothing happened to the SteppIR antenna, but he did have a driver chip
blown in the controller.  Same excellent service from SteppIR.

LPs have their place.  If simplicity is what you desire, then that's not
a bad way to go.  I'm very happy with the SteppIR 4L and the company's
exceptional performance and focus on customer service.

73,

Joe
WDØM
Pagosa Springs, CO