[TowerTalk] lp V stepIR

Joe Subich, W4TV lists at subich.com
Sat Jan 23 16:25:38 PST 2010

> Your model of the 8-element LPDA was apparently done from a
> formula and wasn't optimized at all.

Absolutely correct.  However, it was compared element length
and spacing data for both the Cushcraft ASL-2010 and the then
current Tennadyne T8.  The Cushcraft and Tennadyne designs each
had only minor departures from the "formula" design (which came
from Roger Cox's LPDA software).

It would be easy to optimize a 9 or 10 element LPDA on a 20
foot boom and get closer to yagi performance ... there are
tricks for improving performance at both ends of the spectrum
for the log-periodic at the expense of performance some other
place in the range.  However, a 20 foot boom 10 element LP
is much larger and heavier than a 3 element SteppIR of Force
12 XR5 and still does not match the performance of either
of those antennas.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV