[TowerTalk] Reusing EHS guy wire

Jim Hoge knowkode at verizon.net
Sun Jan 24 10:10:55 PST 2010

Guy,

I do not reuse hardware on towers. Nuts, bolts, cable clamps, etc. I view it as a cheap insurance policy. Remember, it's not only got to hold up the tower but a climber or two as well.

On a recent tower project, I was called out to perform a list of services and changes to the compliment of antennas. As is my custom before any work starts, a ground level inspection is performed which includes using binoculars or a scope on the tower. Next, a climb is made to note what needs attention. What could not be seen from the ground was alarming. The top attachments for the guys were failing. I noted one or two broken strands where the guywire made its loop around the attachment points. (Yes, there were thimbles.) When I replaced the guys, I really had a pucker factor. One of the guys had three broken strands on the outside of the loop and two broken strands on the inside of the loop for a net of two intact strands. After I had the old guys on the ground, I noted several more broken strands and not all of them were where the guy looped back on itself. I suspect the damage was caused by too loose of guys, allowing them to gallop in the wind.

While it seems I could have gone through the old guys and saved what I thought was okay for another project, I sent the material to the recycler. I have frustrated a customer or two by disposing of the old hardware but I stand by my belief that new hardware is cheap insurance.

gl es be safe,
Jim W5QM