[TowerTalk] FW: airline travel with antenna(s) in a golf bag,

Krishna Kanakasapapathi kkanakas at cisco.com
Tue Jul 13 05:55:46 PDT 2010

I once carried a 2 Ele 6-40m steppir in a High Sierra double ski bag.
The motors units went into my other suitcase.
I flew out from a location where i had someone who can hold the antenna
in case the airline refuses to check it in.
I am sure the fall back is to pay extra, but at times they can deny it
based on dimensional weight. It certainly is not
without frustration until the check-in process is complete. Again, i
completely agree with the don't ask/don't tell policy.
It is better to ask for forgiveness when you are holding a reservation
and are ready to check in.

In order to avoid frustration, the other option is to find out the cargo
terminal for the airline. For example, i think
 Lufthansa has one in Atlanta, British Air has one in Wash Dulles  and
then check in the bags about a couple days earlier
as cargo to fly on the same flight that one is holding a ticket. They
retain the bags in cold storage for 48 hours and then
one can only hope it travels with you on the same flight. I did not go
this route, but found this to be an option that is
available.

73s
krish
w4vku