[TowerTalk] Tower Base In Concrete

K7LXC at aol.com K7LXC at aol.com
Tue May 4 11:44:40 PDT 2010

In a message dated 4/24/2010 5:29:35 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
towertalk-request at contesting.com writes:

>  I am installing a base of my tower directly into the  concrete.  If I
place
a layer of sand or crushed rock at the bottom of  the hole for drainage,
should I place the base directly onto this rock for  drainage?

    Of course. That's how you get the condensation in  the leg to drain
into the ground.

>  My quandry arrises  considering I want to attach the tower base to the
rebar
cage, and the cage  must be totally enclosed in the concrete.  If I have the
tower legs  sticking out of the concrete, will this present a corrosion
issue
or have  an effect on the Ufer ground?

    No to both. But you didn't mention what kind of  tower it is. An Ufer
ground for Rohn 25G may not be very effective (little  surface area). Mostly
they're used with bigger tower bases like  self-supporters where there is
much more surface area in contact with the  soil.

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
TOWER TECH