[TowerTalk] Rope Guy Adjusters?

Roger (K8RI) K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Tue May 4 21:54:05 PDT 2010

On 5/4/2010 2:44 PM, K7LXC at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 5/4/2010 11:08:44 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
> towertalk-request at contesting.com writes:
>

>>   What sort of adjusters would be recommended for dacron  rope guys for a
>>
> 30ft
> mast supporting a lowend rotor and  hexbeam?
>
>      You're talking stretch-city here so regular  turnbuckles wouldn't be
> too useful. I'd suggest using a trucker's hitch. It's  where you tie a loop up
> the rope, put the tail thru the anchor and then thru  the loop. Pull it as
> much as you need and then tie it off with half-hitches.  It's illustrated in
> my UP THE TOWER book (_www.championradio.com_
> (http://www.championradio.com) ) in the chapter  on ropes. Try a google search for a quick look. It's
> easy and will give you a  2:1 mechanical advantage over just tying it off.

There's a simple device that might work in this case. It's nothing more
than a piece of wood or plastic about3,  6, or 8 inches long with a hole
in each end that the rope just fits through. The rope goes through one
end, around the anchor and back through the hole in the other end. The
rope is knotted on the far side of the second hole. The rope should be
long enough that the device will be positioned about 3 ft from the
anchor point. the distance is not critical. Too close and it won't work.
Too far and it'll come loose sooner, requiring more frequent
retensioning.  When the rope is pulled tight the tension will cause the
device to tip back, locking itself against the rope.  These actually
work better with a line that has a *little* stretch, but be wary of
nylon. It has a *LOT* of stretch. This is not a place where if a little
is good a lot is better. Here a little is good, but a lot will just come
loose.

73

Roger (K8RI)