[TowerTalk] Finding the highest quality PL-259 Connectors

Rick Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Wed May 12 14:11:37 PDT 2010

Tõnno Vähk wrote:
> I have just investigated the same topic - selecting UHF cable males.
>
> I am a little confused as the Amphenol specs say:
>
> 83-1SP - silver plated
> 83-822 - TFE insulated
> 83-886-2050 - TFE insulated AND silver plated
>
> Two first ones retail ca USD 4 (or 83-822 slightly more) and the last one
> ca USD 10!
>
> So obvious question is:
>
> Does 83-1SP really have Teflon insulation??
>
> And what is better for ham  - TFE or silver plating?

The Amphenol PL259's used to come in phenolic or dialyl phthalate.
A few years ago, someone decided that the latter was extremely
toxic and banned it.  I guess they replaced it with TFE.  The trouble
with TFE of course is that it physically flows under heat and
or pressure and doesn't stick to anything.  I would much rather
have phenolic if I couldn't get the banned material.

Silver plating is a must for me.  Too hard to solder to nickel, etc.

Rick N6RK