[TowerTalk] Tower Warning Signs

Don Tucker w7wll at arrl.net
Wed May 26 21:10:21 PDT 2010

Some funny but great thoughts.

On the serious side, if someone wants to climb your tower, all the signage
in the world won't mean diddle.

But if someone does climb the tower, even without your permission, you can
bet that you will be held liable (sure, the idiot who did the climbing and
falling may get a trespassing charge) and it could be, depending upon the
locale you are in, a quick end to your amateur radio operation for awhile
while you figure out how you are going to pay the enormous civil monetary
judgement against you.  And I doubt you will get much help from an insurance
company, including ARRL's recommended one.

Make the lower section reasonably unclimable. Barbed wire isn't the answer
but simple shields on the sides, 6 foot tall, of a fairly rigid aluminum or
steel that are securely fastened will help. Nothing is foolproof but you
will have to show a 'reasonable' attempt at preventing access. Signs don't
usually cut this.

I like the sign suggested about the tower being an adjunt to a US Government
licensed transmission facility!!!!

Don W7WLL