[TowerTalk] Fwd: Fwd: Upside down rotor

Roger (sub1) sub1 at rogerhalstead.com
Mon Nov 15 22:50:00 PST 2010

Sorry this didn't go out sooner, but I just got the internet back after
it being down for several hours.

On 11/15/2010 11:34 PM, hanslg at aol.com wrote:
>   Obviously you can't load the rotor as much as if it mounted "right".
Unfortunately the original question is not included so I don't know for
sure what kind of rotator it is.

The "Ham Series" of rotators do not physically care whether they are
right side up or upside down near as I can tell from their construction.
The bearing races are in compression either way so the load capability
should be the same. OTOH they are not "weather proof or resistant upside
down.  They are more like a big funnel when upside down which would
allow them to collect water in the bell housing and eventually cover the
direction indicating resistor.
>   You will have a locking spring washer taking the load.
Same load bearing as before.
>   The is not any real raceways in the RS-rotor, just a few slide/glide bearings. Also, keep in mind that the rotor will rotate in the "wrong" direction.
Again, for most rotators including the ham series it only requires
reversing two wires to change the indication between CW and CCW and two
wires for the rotation direction.
>   If you line it up correctly with north, you will have the rotor "looking" east when the dial indicate west.
Not if it's wired correctly .
>   That can, though, be corrected if you cross two of the wires to the rotor (I don't know for sure which once).

The two that go to the ends of the rotation pot. They are shown in the
manual and should be described in the alignment procedure.
If need be I have one apart on the work bench out in the shop and can
check for the terminal numbers.  I'm converting the Ham IV connections
to the pig tail and inline connector used on the Tail Twister.

However...IF the rotator can be mounted upside down, what is preventing
it from being mounted right side up?

73

Roger (K8RI)