[TowerTalk] Digital camera helps with reassembly

Roger (K8RI) K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Sat Oct 30 20:16:38 PDT 2010

On 10/30/2010 6:12 PM, Ron W8RJL wrote:
> I find that when taking things apart it is often very helpful in reassembly
> if I shoot quick digital photos as I disassemble. This goes for rotors,
> radios, etc. Its just a tool like scratching across a two piece surface so
> you have an indication as to how to realign. As I get older I find that even
> though I think I can remember how things go together it can sometimes get
> confusing and a photo is worth 1000 words. I don't have to write anything
> down as long as I keep the photos in order and the camera does that for me.
Much of the work I've done in the past I've used digital cameras, but
before that I used 35mmm, with Ektachrome and Fujichrome  in ASA100 or
400, developed the film using the 3 step process instead of the lengthy
Kodak process, left it in film strips, scanned it with a Nikon ED 5000 I
used for scanning "the old family slides".  Gone through bout 35,000 so
far. That produces an image 4,000 X 6,000 pixels or 24,000,000 mega
pixels. Save em as jpgs and the size drops to about 5 or 6 megabytes for
each image.

Although all that sounds like excessive work, the developing took about
5 minutes, bout a half hour to dry, 5 minutes to cut up and put in film
strip holders, and about a minute to scan a 5 or 6 image strip.  Usually
the work was on a roll of other photos so most of the developing had to
be done anyway.   For slides the thing had the SF210 auto slide feeder
which would hold 50 slides. It'd work perfectly until you glanced away
whereupon the thing would jam, which due to Nikon's lousy drives often
meant rebooting. They still do produce drivers for it, but only in 32
bit.  Wish I could find the source code, I'd alter it and compile in 64
bit.

But with digital cameras I don't understand why any one wouldn't
photograph a project.  Like sharing information on the reflectors there
are so many who might possibly benefit from the struggles each of us
goes through with a new project.

73

Roger (K8RI)