[TowerTalk] Which feedline to use

Grant Saviers grants2 at pacbell.net
Wed Sep 8 11:22:36 PDT 2010

I've just helped recommission one of the former KABC vans for a virtual
classrom, satellite link, 802.11, 2m, 70cm, & GMRS radios, etc. for the
upcoming ARLISS rocket launches  (see  aeropac dot org)  There was no
hardline anywhere in this van.  What may look like hardline is a coil of
Nycoil nylon 1.25" id coiled air hose which is used as a flexible
conduit.  There were 19 cables inside the old Nycoil and they are
impossible to remove.  I had to buy new Nycoil ($1k+ for 70') and pull
new wires, which was a struggle and uses some tricks.  If there are
uwaves or UHF the amps/preamps were at the top of the mast, a 40 footer
in our case.

The Wil-Burt local guy was helpful.  The up/down action of the mast
tends to twist the wires inside.  They don't recommend any solid
conductor cables.  The cable load for the new conduit was 2 x Buryflex,
2 x RG8X, 2 x CAT5e, DC power, AC power, pan/tilt control head 8
conductor.  Lots of TFE pulling grease and 5 people got them pulled.  We
tied the Nycoil every 5' to a strong fence, so it was pretty straight,
otherwise it is impossible to pull through the loops.

Grant
KZ1W