[TowerTalk] Which feedline to use

Rick Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Wed Sep 8 12:00:23 PDT 2010

Grant Saviers wrote:
> The Wil-Burt local guy was helpful.  The up/down action of the mast
> tends to twist the wires inside.  They don't recommend any solid
> conductor cables.  The cable load for the new conduit was 2 x Buryflex,
> 2 x RG8X, 2 x CAT5e, DC power, AC power, pan/tilt control head 8
> conductor.  Lots of TFE pulling grease and 5 people got them pulled.  We
> tied the Nycoil every 5' to a strong fence, so it was pretty straight,
> otherwise it is impossible to pull through the loops.
>
> Grant
> KZ1W

Did you pull the whole bundle through as a unit or pull the cables
through one at a time?  I like your fence idea.  I should have
done that when I pulled wires through 200 feet of plastic flexible
conduit.  Is TFE pulling grease different than the ordinary stuff
they sell at hardware stores?  Where do you get it?  Is it a lot
better?

One time I got the "bright" idea to pull RG58 coax into cheap
poly drip irrigation tubing to make it "critter" proof.
After spending hours with various techniques, I gave up.
The stuff wants to curl up and kink, and it is amazing the amount of
friction that even 100 feet of it has.

Rick N6RK