[TowerTalk] MOW - gas discharge tubes

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 14 06:17:35 PDT 2010

HansLG at aol.com wrote:
> MOV-s are useless at these frequencies. They can't even be used for
> protection of phone lines.
>
> Gas arrestors have the low capacitance you are looking for. If you check
> out a surge protector for phone lines you find gas tubes together with small
> fuses.
>
> Hans - N2JFS

for low voltages, they also have 4 layer diode type devices, if you want
a semiconductor device. they're available in multiples in SMD packages,
so they're popular for protecting signals coming over a multiconductor
connector.

Can't handle a huge amount of energy, but they can keep from cooking a
sensitive IC with relatively low transient energy.