[TowerTalk] Free climbing a 1700' tower

Ronnie Carter towerbob at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 18 11:18:22 PDT 2010

I always free climb, then snap the belt when I get where I'm going.  Been doing it for 20 years or more.  There's just one rule -- hold on tight.  But I'm 54 now, and suspect that in a few years I might start hooking up all the way.

In my opinion, if you're not overweight and in good shape, working alone with no one above you to drop a tool, it's fine.  But if someone else disagrees that's cool.  No need for the "idiot" flames.

By the way, what is way more impressive than the fellow climbing that tower is what the guys who built it had to deal with.  I can only imagine trying to lower those sections into place and bolting them together with the wind blowing about 30-50 mph.

How many times have you guys started a 300' climb with winds almost calm, only to be in what seems like a whole gale when you reach the top?