[TowerTalk] free climbing a 1700`tower

David Gilbert xdavid at cis-broadband.com
Sat Sep 18 12:05:28 PDT 2010

Doug, I didn't intentionally change what you said, but I'm having a
difficult time understanding the distinction since if someone can't
physically climb a tower at all none of this discussion applies anyway.
    If someone was prone to acrophobia it would come into play whether
they were free climbing or constantly clipped in (trust me).  About the
only valid distinction I can discern between "can't" and "won't" free
climb is if someone wasn't fit enough to periodically rest without
taking their hands off the tower.  If that was your point, OK.

Your suggestions on how to negate forces beyond our control don't make
much sense to me, though.  I wouldn't trust my life to any of them.  A
simple strap makes far more sense.

I guess what I most don't understand about any of this discussion is
what any amateur has to gain by free climbing.  Time to climb or descend
is typically minor compared with the time actually spent doing work on
the tower.  It does seem idiotic to me to knowingly and significantly
risk one's life for no potential gain.

Dave   AB7E