[TowerTalk] Grounding Lighting Arrestors

Tony dxdx at optonline.net
Wed Apr 20 21:08:35 PDT 2011

All,

I have a few questions about grounding coax lighting arrestors. I have 2
Polyphasor's attached to an aluminum plate inside a small enclosure. The
plate is connected to wide copper strap.

My crank up tower is attached to 3 ground rods using 3 separate runs of
#2 stranded. I planed on grounding the lightning arrestors to one of
those ground wires coming off the tower with an 18 inch length of strap.
I'll be using a copper clamp to attach the strap to the ground wire.

The alternative would be to mount the enclosure on the outside of the
house, which would put the Polyphasors six feet away from the ground
connection.

My question is, would there be much difference in the effectiveness of
the lightning arrestors and the ground system by mounting them that much
farther away?

Finally, what's the best anti-corrosion stuff to use on the ground
connections and is it necessary to use anything on the exposed copper
strap to keep it from oxidizing?

Thanks,

Tony