[TowerTalk] HDBX-48 figures for 90 mph zone

henry.lonberg kr7x at comcast.net
Wed Dec 7 10:53:25 PST 2011

Mike etal:

All this talk got me curious about the loading capacity of the 48' HDBX.

When I was engineering the tower installation for K9CT's new station, he requested using 64' BX towers for the 80m 4-Square antenna system.

The design criteria was TIA 222-G and 90mph design wind velocity.

Given the following criteria:

TIA 222-G criteria, 90mph design wind velocity, exposure "C", 222-G for category I structures does not require ice or seismic load consideration.

I threw 10 sf of antenna at 51' (3' above top- Rohn criteria).

The results show that the system was at about 80% utilization with this load configuration. However the 10' max boom caution from Rohn still is applicable.

This tower system uses aluminum rivets at the diagonal to leg conntections and grade 5 bolts at the leg splices. The aluminum rivets are the reason for the 10' maximum boom length. This keeps the potential torsion loading down. This torsional loading coupled with the lateral shear is what stresses the diagonal connections where the aluminum rivets are located.

Sorry about the delay but paying clients come first!

Regards

Lonberg Design Group, Ltd.

H. Lonberg, P.E.,S.E. / KR7X

President