[TowerTalk] HDBX-48 figures for 90 mph zone

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 7 08:41:21 PST 2011

On 12/7/11 8:22 AM, Mike Cizek wrote:
> Bottom line.....the manufacturer wants $1400 (one thousand four hundred
> dollars) to provide the drawings.  I have already told the guy we need to
> look at other options; all of which were more expensive, until we figured in
> the cost of getting proper drawings from Shelby.

$1400 is a reasonable sum. It's a day or two of engineering time, which
isn't a bad estimate to run the numbers with your local requirements and
come up with a report.  Not that you couldn't find someone local to do
it for less, but for the mfr, that seems reasonable.

Engineers get around $100k/yr, which, by the time you add benefits,
office expenses, *insurance*, and all the other stuff, works out to
about $100/hr... I'm guessing that $1400 is 16 hours or thereabouts.

Small jobs are surprisingly expensive, because of the "fixed costs" of
any job (the time to make the copies, stamp them, and put them in an
envelope, address it and mail it).  In a 3 month job, those paper
shuffling and administrative times are small.  In a 1 day job, they
could be 25% of the time.  Either that time is explicitly accounted for
and billed, or it's part of the overhead (which would raise the hourly
rate).

BLS shows average rate for Civil Engineers was about $85k/yr,
nationwide.  $95k/yr in California (Lousiana is second highest at $93k..
probably because of oil/gas, which is a high paid segment)

http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes172051.htm

If your local jurisdiction requires local engineering drawings, then you
might do better by getting the raw information and giving it to a local
engineer, who can do your calculations along with all the other stuff
the locals will want.  It's that whole "fixed cost of a job" thing.