[TowerTalk] Crimp-on PL259 et al

K8RI on TT k8ri-on-towertalk at tm.net
Sat Feb 12 09:40:42 PST 2011

On 2/12/2011 11:36 AM, Peter Dougherty wrote:
> Here are two photos of what I mean by crimp-on PL-259s failing.
>
> http://s291.photobucket.com/albums/ll290/W2IRT/Towers%20and%20Antennas/?acti
> on=view&current=Crimp-fail-1.jpg
> http://s291.photobucket.com/albums/ll290/W2IRT/Towers%20and%20Antennas/?acti
> on=view&current=Crimp-fail-3.jpg
I've never had one pull back. It appears that possibly the wrong die was
used not making a tight enough crimp.
The crimp sleeve is covered so I can't tell for sure, but it looks like
the crimp may have been too far back. It should be right against the
connector shoulder.

Photos without the heatshrink would tell much more.

73

Roger (K8RI)