[TowerTalk] Crimp-on PL259 et al

Peter Dougherty w2irt at verizon.net
Sat Feb 12 14:25:35 PST 2011

-----Original Message-----
From: towertalk-bounces at contesting.com
[mailto:towertalk-bounces at contesting.com] On Behalf Of Les Kalmus  Peter,

I use crimp connectors a lot and have not had any problems like this.
I looks like the crimp was not tight enough which is most likely from
either the wrong die, not enough pressure or crimping too far behind the
head of the connector.

[pjd] I'm using a .429 die that I bought from Joel at the RF Connection and
according to my digital vernier, it's within a thou of that, and .490 on the
diagonal. The crimps are made snug/flush against the barrel, the tool
ratcheted all the way down until it re-opens and the connection tested.
According to all logic, these connections should be very reliable. I use the
technique described here in detail:
http://www.bcdxc.org/pl259_crimp_on_connectors.htm
And when I'm done, the connections look like this every time:
http://www.bcdxc.org/images/rg213_step_93.jpg (although I don't generally
let the center go that long in prep). If there's ever a doubt, I cut it off
and start again.

>> I can bring the crimper I use to the next meeting for you to take a look
at if you like.
[pjd] Sure, that would be great. I'll bring mine as well and we can compare
notes :-)

Regards,

Peter,
W2IRT