[TowerTalk] Force12 rivets

Grant Saviers grants2 at pacbell.net
Thu Feb 24 10:12:40 PST 2011

One more implementation alternative to add to the stack:

Place the rivets at 90 degrees to each other, two sets of two offset
along the element at 1/2 the rivet spacing.  The theory is the same as
using two setscrews to hold a pulley to a round shaft - lockout the
shaft to bore clearance in two planes.  This is what the ME handbooks
advise to prevent rocking or fretting on the screw or the shaft to the
bore.  In the early days, we had pulleys loosen on disk drive spindles
until this change was made.

When rivets are set at 180 deg from each other or three sets at 120
degrees the tubing is being distorted to fill the clearance gap at the
rivet so the tubing must distort outward at another spot.  This is
minimized with rivets at 90 degrees since the gap being closed is less
and more tube is free to distort.  Thus, the rivet provides more
clamping force & friction.  The 90 degree riveted slip fit can't wiggle.

This also avoids more holes/rivets and aligned holes that could weaken
the elements.

Not much has been said about what type/grade of rivets to use.  What
experience can be shared about those specs?  There are a lot of choices.

Grant KZ1W