[TowerTalk] Stacking distance?

Grant Saviers grants2 at pacbell.net
Sun Jul 3 10:48:21 PDT 2011

Paul,

There are now three versions of the 40m Moxon by Dave Leeson, W6NL.  The
original XM240 (v1) mods, an strengthened XM240 "100 mph W6NL/Moxon for
K3LR" (v2), and a scratch build "120 mph" (v3).  K6KR and I are building
two of the v3s from scratch.  If your location is wind or ice challenged
you might want to make the v2 mods which adds some 1 1/4" sch 40 6061-T6
pipe in the center to strengthen the elements.  Some other parts and
dimensions also change a bit.

I found that DX Engineering has much better prices (50% less!) for
0.058" wall and 0.120" wall telescoping tubing than any commercial
supplier in the Seattle area (if they stock it).  However, the schedule
40 pipe is readily available locally at good prices.  On-Line Metals has
good prices on 6061 flat stock (also has the sch 40) you might need for
element or boom mounts.  We are using the DX Eng element clamps
throughout since they appear to really grip well.

As for your stack distance, see
http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek/stacking/stacking2.htm  for some
guidance.  You can join 2" mast, but ought to use the mast calculators
to check the loads.  You don't mention your current tower size, but
these two antennas are a lot for 25G with a tall mast.  K6KR is using a
3" mast for a stack on 45g and my 4L SteppIR and 40m Moxon are going on
separate towers with 2" mast.  Your mast should also be high strength
alloy steel e.g. 4130 etc.

Grant KZ1W