[TowerTalk] Burying Radials - with modified 3-pt hitch middle buster

Scott Dickson, W5WZ w5wz at w5wz.com
Sun Jul 3 13:00:06 PDT 2011

My back yard is a working area - I'm a home builder, and have tractors,
trailers, etc and must drive thru the yard frequently.  I did not think that
laying radials on the surface was a good idea for me, even while waiting for
the grass to grow to cover them.

I buried 5000 feet of solid #12 THHN wire about 3 inches deep using my
modified middle buster plow and 40hp tractor.  The result was great!  I
could bury at 3 mph forward speed.

http://w5wz.com/main/page_building_80m_shuntfeed.html

The biggest disadvantage of this method was that it left a somewhat open
trench (2-3 inches wide), which I had to go back with a garden rake and
replace/recover the displaced sod and dirt.  Then I drove the tractor the
length of each radial to pack the backfill.

Since then, I've used this same plow setup to bury RG-6 to my multiple
beverage antennae.

--Scott, W5WZ