[TowerTalk] DX Engineering DXE400MAX Cable?

Jim W7RY w7ry at inbox.com
Fri Jul 22 16:30:39 PDT 2011

What does this statement really mean Jim? You say to stay away from copper
coated aluminum, but then say there is no increase in loss at 1MHz.

Please clarify.

73
Jim W7RY

Q: What about copper coated steel and copper coated aluminum?
A: For frequencies below 10 MHz, avoid copper-coated steel. At higher
frequencies, skin
effect takes over, and all the current is in the thin coating, but at lower
frequencies, the
steel increases the resistance (and the loss). Measurements of LMR400, which
has a
copper coated aluminum center conductor, show no increased loss due to the
higher
resistance of the aluminum, even as low as 1 MHz.