[TowerTalk] Rebuilding a TH-3, advice sought.

k3hx at juno.com k3hx at juno.com
Sat Jul 23 15:14:54 PDT 2011

I'm rebuilding a TH-3 which has been stored under a shed for at least a decade.  The elements are now oxidized to a dark grey with parts of the elements having bumps of white powder on them.

The trap endcaps are blistered and split, replacements are on hand.

I'd appreciate any hits, tips, pearls of wisdom, advice, cautions or experience the reader would care to share.

In particular, I do not look forward to removing the oxidation from the elements with abrasive sponges although I'm willing to do so to assure a good job.  Is there some manner of vile chemistry I can dip the disassembled elements into, perhaps in a long, shallow tray that will make the job less labor-intensive?

Also concerned about the traps and assuring that they will not fail in service.  (100w maximum, most of the time...QRP..HI!)

Thanks,

Tim