[TowerTalk] Heads up for Aurora

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Wed Jun 8 15:26:49 PDT 2011

On 6/8/2011 3:12 PM, Jeff Stevens wrote:
> It's
> going to be cloudy tonight at my QTH but tomorrow it might clear a bit
> tomorrow night.

It's important to realize that making AU contacts on the VHF bands has
NOTHING to do with visibility in your region.  I've seen the AU only
once in my life, on a fishing trip to central WI, but I've worked AU on
6M dozens of times from WV in the late 50s, Chicago in the 90s, and CA
in the 00s, and on none of those occasions was the AU visible.  Also,
I've made AU contacts with stations as far south as TN (from Chicago and
WV), and my WV QTH was Huntington, in the W corner of the state, also
pretty far south.

73, Jim K9YC