[TowerTalk] DIGGING A HOLE WITH A BACKHOE

Grant Saviers grants2 at pacbell.net
Sat May 7 06:35:38 PDT 2011

I had nine 36" diameter by 8' deep holes bored for 24' x 8" pipes to
hold PV panels.  County said it had to be so.  The contractor used a
Bobcat with hydraulic auger, a pretty impressive rig for digging.  It
went well for 7 holes then they hit rock on #8 & #9, so the last two
holes took two days each and were about 5' in diameter when deep
enough.  He said he lost his shirt on the time and extra concrete.

A PTO auger on decent sized tractor is good for 18" diameter, sometimes
24" if the soil cooperates.  Yes, clay or wet adobe augers nicely BUT
you need to "peck drill" so the auger doesn't  thread into the ground.
My tractor PTO (65hp John Deere) doesn't reverse and twice I've had to
dig out the auger, even with the hydraulic up/downforce option I have.
Not fun.  If you rent, go for a hydraulic driven auger that reverses and
have some spare shear pins handy.

Grant  KZ1W