[TowerTalk] DIGGING A HOLE WITH A BACKHOE

K0DAN k0dan at comcast.net
Sat May 7 08:41:57 PDT 2011

FWIW When I put up my TriEx LM470 I did estimates for backhoe + framing
versus hiring a well digger & auger. Ended up the auger was less costly and
less labor/material to build forms and less requirements for backfill and
soil compression.

The driller used a 4' auger and went down about 9-10'. Yes, the auger
scattered dirt everywhere, had to get a Bobcat in to gather it up and spread
it into a berm & swale so water would drain away from the tower base.

I used the factory base & rebar cage, built a rectangular from at & above
ground level. I computed the volume of the hole and ordered concrete
accordingly from a Redimix company (the concrete BARELY came to the top of
the forms (whew)!

The base somewhat exceeds the tower specs, but that's fine by me. Soil is
about 6-10" of black dirt on top of clay. Can't remember the costs (this was
back in '99) but while not cheap, costs were not out of line and I ended up
with a LOT easier job than had I hired a backhoe and built forms.

As always YMMV. GL with your projects.

73

Dan
K0DAN