[TowerTalk] New Antennas

Charlie Gallo Charlie at TheGallos.com
Wed May 11 20:49:04 PDT 2011

Well, today was the day, John W2GD and Bill W2RQ, along with Pete, W2IRT came and installed my rooftop Glen Martin and 2 antennas, a C3SS to cover 10, 15 and 20 (and yes, it DOES tune 17m with a tuner - have not tried 12), and a D140 for 40m

They did a quick, and nice job, but do to nightfall, the ground level 'stuff" (and some low ladder level) still need to be done, but I'll take care of that myself

_I_ messed up, and gave John a wrong heading for True North (about 10-15 off)but I guess that's what the calibrate knob is for, eh? (I guess the owl will be upset)

The signal level, never mind the NOISE level difference between my previous DX-EE is amazing Note, I have NOT gone over to 40m yet, but that's partly because I'm working with a jumper from where the remote antenna  switch WILL be, and the shack - just used a 100 ft length of RG-8X I use for ARES work

Worked my first station (LZ2HQ) with a real solid S9 on my side, and the noise floor went down too.

John (along with Bill) are WELL worth the rate the charge - now till wait till the weekend to get the rest of the Misc stuff down (and go pick up my new (used) amp)

See you in the pileups

Charlie

--
73 de KG2V - Charles Gallo
Quality Custom Machine-shop work for the radio amateur (sm)

My Website: http://www.thegallos.com