[TowerTalk] Fw: concrete bases for freestanding towers

Sam Andrews sandrews at aristotle.net
Sun May 15 09:39:17 PDT 2011

I have seen a number of unguyed towers come down over the years, both
bracketed and non-bracketed (generally from near tornadic winds).  Of those,
in only one case did the bracket hold - in all others the bracket failed,
usually causing major damage to the building.  In the one case where the
bracket held, the tower was lost anyway by folding over at the bracket
connection,  possibly indicating the bending moment did it in.  All the
others showed strong evidence of tower failure due to the twisting moment.
A bracket does not reduce the twisting moment above the bracket.  It may be
possible that spreading that twisting stress across the entire length of the
tower without a bracket might even be better?

73, Sam  AE5L