[TowerTalk] Tower base removal

jcjacobsen at q.com jcjacobsen at q.com
Wed Nov 2 19:56:38 PDT 2011

Rob needs to remove a big 'ol chunk of concrete:
<snip>
Once the tower is gone, the widow really wants to have the concrete base gone too. My
suggestions of building a deck over it was not an option. I remember you
guys talking about using a jackhammer to remove the top .............................

--rob
K6DQ
<snip>

Rob,
I've thought this thru at times because I'm going to have to do the same thing when I sell this house down the road a bit.
#1. If the base is real close to the house, a jack hammer may disturb/crack/rattle/harm the foundation in someway.
#2. IF you go that route, dig the dirt away from the side of the concrete so that it has some place to "expand" into as the hammer goes down.
#3. I'm currently thinking of scoring the base with a concrete saw as deep as I can then split it off.

#4. Someone suggested expanding clay in holes. Maybe
#4. OR take a page from stone workers who use the little feather and wedge things in holes drilled into the "rock". They are placed in the holes and then hit with a large maul, working back and forth from on to another until the rock splits.

Good luck with the project.

73
K9WN Jake