[TowerTalk] Jackhammer removal of tower base difficulty?

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 2 21:07:42 PDT 2011

On 11/2/11 7:55 PM, Bryan Swadener wrote:
> Hi Rob,
>
> In the trades, the tool is referred to as a "demolition hammer".  They are offered in various weights... 45#, 60#, 90#.  Years ago, I had a 6'x9' concrete slab I needed to replace.  It was around 8" thick, and I rented a 60# electric demo hammer.  It took a few one hour sessions to get it done (it vibrated the bejesus out of your wrists and forearms).  It won't make much difference what the mix was.  I'm guessing you should have it done in a half hour or so.

Demo'ing a slab and a big block are VERY different.  With a slab, once
you get it cracking, it's easy to propagate the cracks and keep chunks
coming off.  But breaking up something like a 3 foot diameter lump is a
LOT harder.

Zapping out an old patio is the work of less than a day (at least for
the breaking it up part.. hauling away the residue in a wheel barrow,
etc. takes almost as long, if not longer).