[TowerTalk] Pinning mast?

Grant Saviers grants2 at pacbell.net
Mon Nov 7 20:25:14 PST 2011

A good question - even a pair of "slim" shims at 90 degrees apart should
work with the compression clamp.  These can be ~2x the thickness of a
360 deg shim and easier to drive in.  Can the clamp be spread with a
drift or N x chisels to help get the shims in?  Or maybe several
threaded studs with slim nuts can be backed against the inside of the
clamp flanges although these will need to be much smaller than the clamp
bolts in order to get the nuts to fit.

The "problem" with pins is getting the pin to hole clearance essentially
zero - as in rivets in a Boeing airplane.  Otherwise the mast and clamp
work against each other enlarging the hole.  The idea of a taper pin is
reasonable since they have zero clearance, but I wouldn't want to try
that up the tower with a #9 or 10 reamer ($$ and hard to do, step drill
etc.).

Since the K7NV mast clamp can be deformed in one plane, if shims can't
be placed the best bet is to add a couple of through bolts 90 deg to
this plane.  Drill the holes a bit (1/16") undersized and use a core
drill exactly the size of the bolts.  A core drill will essentially ream
the hole to round and very close to diameter, even hand held.  (but I
think any pin solution is not as good as making the clamp work +/- as
designed).

Grant KZ1W