[TowerTalk] Boom Lift

Phil Snyder n9lah at comcast.net
Sat Nov 12 15:53:51 PST 2011

Last fall I installed a Force 12 XR5 on a friends tower. It is a
crank-up but without room to tilt it over with the antennas installed.
He rented a tow behind electric boom with about a 45 foot capacity and
500 lb rating. We assembled the antenna in 3 pcs, each section of the
boom. I went up with the center section on the lift and bolted it to the
mast. I then lifted the tail end of the antenna up right to it's
matching boom end and slipped it in. I then did the same with the front
of the antenna. It worked out great.

This fall he wanted to add a 6 meter beam and change out the coax for
both. I simply went back up in the lift, removed one end of the HF beam
and lowered it to the ground to gain access to the mast above the HF
beam and up went the 6 meter beam. Actually worked out pretty slick and
having the flat surface to stand on sure beat standing on the tower rungs.

Phil

N9LAH