[TowerTalk] how much boom lifts rent for

Grant Saviers grants2 at pacbell.net
Sat Nov 12 20:21:20 PST 2011

I've rented several in sizes 40 to 90'.  Above 40' some renters get
sticky about insurance and require a credit application and insurance
binder.  Neither which were much hassle or cost as a general home
insurance liability binder with the rental outfit as payee sufficed.
Their concerns are understandable about damage to a $250k machine and
what it can do liability wise if tipped or run into a power line.

Tow behinds need a lot of space for the outriggers and a very level
site, a suitable truck for towing, and are also a challenge to maneuver
into position.  If your site is not perfectly level then heavy duty
blocking might be needed under an outrigger, which I had to do at one
telephone pole antenna support.  (the tilt sensors require leveling to a
few degrees).

4WD is a must for any rental unless you are totally on hard hard surface
all the time.  I managed to go 3' off and got a 85' 2WD stuck. It took a
very large tow truck with multi part winch tackle, and the cost of two
days rental to get out.  He said "at least you didn't bury it to the
axles".  That would be interesting!

Re the costs, shop around, as I have found significant differences in
pricing.  My last rental was a 40'  JLG for 7 days (5 days + weekend),
about $750 plus $80 round trip on the delivery.  I put up 3 beams by
myself (incl a 40m Moxon) on two crank ups.  The ability to work on an
element at the end of the boom and up a mast above existing antennas is
fantastic.   I lost count of the number of "climbs" I avoided.

Every rental delivery guy I've experienced was very helpful and will
give you a short "how to" on the machine upon delivery.  Go slow (rabbit
mode is for the experts on these machines) and THINK/plan every
movement.   Generally, the tilt sensors and interlocks help keep you
safe, but stupidity can be fatal as with any tower work.

Grant KZ1W