[TowerTalk] Guying a Universal Aluminum Tower

n8de at thepoint.net n8de at thepoint.net
Fri Nov 18 08:33:43 PST 2011

I agree with Bill.
Guys are NOT intended to be used with self-supporting towers, but ...
can be used with much caution.

The reason the tower may 'sway' with winds after being up so long is,
as Bill notes, probably due to distortion of the bolt holes due to
stress.

You MUST re-tighten all the bolts AT LEAST ONCE per year!  If you
haven't done that, those egg-shaped holes will cause you grief and the
tower will NOT stop swaying.

IF necessary, you might have to drill NEW holes in the legs to avoid
the egg-shaped bolt holes due to stress.

I suggest you first tighten all the bolts, bottom to top, and then
check the 'sway' to see if it has minimized.  IF NOT, you may have to
take each bolt out and examine the bolt holes .. that's a lot of work,
but well worth the caution.

I have 4 Universal towers up now, and will put up 3 more soon.

73
Don
N8DE

Quoting Cqtestk4xs at aol.com: