[TowerTalk] Long rotor run

Bill Cotter n4lg at qx.net
Mon Nov 21 18:46:03 PST 2011

Ed,

I run about 450ft of 10/3 w/gnd from my shack to one of the prop
pitch rotors on the back tower. To understand how well things were
working topside, I also ran 450ft of CAT-5 cable (8x #22 twisted
pairs) from the shack to the rotor, and connected on pair to common
and CW, and another pair from common to CCW. The third pair is used
for the pulse counter to indicate position. Back at the shack I can
view the voltage at the motor terminals with a hi-Z digital voltmeter.

The controller puts about 28VDC on the CW/CCW line to spin the
rotor, and I find I lose about 1-2VDC in the long run of cable
depending on the temperature and motor loading. The point here is
for next to nothing (CAT-5) I am able to measure the rotor voltage
at any time to see how it's doing.

Using this cheap "sense line" technique came in very handy when I
suspected the 4-square wasn't working correctly. I found that one
of the wires in the multiconductor cable buried underground to a
hit from the gardner's shovel.

73 Bill N4LG