[TowerTalk] Looking for a tower....

Michael Baker mpb45 at clanbaker.org
Wed Sep 7 09:36:38 PDT 2011

Hello, TowerTalk folks--

I am in N. Central Flori-DUH (Gainesville/Micanopy) area and
am looking for a 90-foot tower.  I live on a 6-acre heavily forested
homesite.  My home has a  cinderblock workshop adjacent to it
but quite a few 60 and 70 foot pine and oak trees all close around.

I would take down a few trees around the workshop to make it safe
for guy-wires, but I have been looking for a wide-base 3-leg or 4-leg
self-supporting tower to hold a couple of small UHF beams and a
48" X 48" flat reflector for a microwave periscope (flyswatter) style
antenna system.

If a 3 or 4 leg wide-base tower can be located (that I can afford!)
I am planning to hire one of the companies that use a big truck
with a 36" auger used for installing the bases for the 100-ft tall
light-towers as seen on the Interstate exchanges.  They dig a 3-ft
dia hole 10-feet deep to mount the 100-ft towers on.   I would
install a 3-ft dia by 8-ft deep re-bar and concrete base for each leg.
I have seen 90 and 100 ft wide-base towers with 3-legs (or 4 legs)
that are spaced from 6 to 8 feet apart.

Any suggestions or any tips where a used one might be located?

Thanks!!

Mike Baker
WA4HFR
Gainesville/Micanopy, Fl