[TowerTalk] Maximum Guy Radius

Dorn Hetzel kb4eq at hetzel.org
Wed Sep 21 06:33:28 PDT 2011

If I have a tower of a specific fixed height that I will be erecting,
and I have plenty of room to do so, I would estimate that I should
gain *some* additional strength against wind-load by moving the
guy radius from 80% of height to 100% of height, since this will
move the guy angle closer to horizontal and reduce the down
force on the tower and increase the horizontal back-force for
a given guy tension and a given stretch in a guy due to motion
of the tower.

Can anyone comment from either a practical experience or
engineering point of view whether this estimate is sound?

73,

Dorn Hetzel
KB4EQ
kb4eq at hetzel.org