[TowerTalk] Maximum Guy Radius

David Robbins k1ttt at verizon.net
Wed Sep 21 07:03:40 PDT 2011

the answer is a definate maybe... with a caveat to 'do what the manufacturer says'.

The problem is that as you move the guy point farther out you increase the length of the guys which also increases their weight, and the amount of sag for a given tension, which may actually increase the movement of the tower.  the manufacturer has probably done that tradeoff study already and decided that 80% was a good compromise between forces, length, weight, wind, cost, etc, etc, etc.