[TowerTalk] TailTwister overhaul

Bob K6UJ k6uj at pacbell.net
Sun Apr 1 17:32:58 PDT 2012

My HyGain Tailtwister has been in the tower for 18 years now and it is showing some signs of
needing a little TLC.  Sometimes when I try to rotate the beam it wont move at all, but if I turn it the opposite direction for a wee bit,
then go back in the original direction, it works fine.  I am planning on taking her down and doing an overhaul.  I have been searching
the archives and found a referral to this webpage for an overview of how to do the overhaul
http://www.hayseed.net/~jpk5lad/Rotors/Tail-Twister.htm     I am going to order new bearings, races, potentiometer, and what ever else
that I can find that could be replaced. I'd like it to hold up for another 18 years, hihi.   I understand that the parts are available from MFJ now.
If you have overhauled a HyGain rotor and can throw me some words of advice  it would be appreciated.  Never overhauled a rotor
before but it looks to be not that difficult.

tnx
Bob
K6UJ