[TowerTalk] Anchor bolts for LM470

K8RI K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Sun Apr 15 21:44:33 PDT 2012

On 4/15/2012 10:39 PM, Mike wrote:
> Dave,
>
> That's what I was thinking as well.  I have seen people cut off and weld the
> three LM-470 bolt Ears to a US-Towers "T-Base" which works, but I do not
> understand what this is about.

"My thoughts!":

The bolt head, J, flag, or plate only needs to be big enough to prevent
the anchor from turning, pulling out, or over stressing that small area
of concrete.  I think J-bolts are by far the cheapest and easiest to
make if you do-it-yourself.

As for "All Thread" which is plain old threaded rod, isn't it a bit soft
to use? I've never seen it except in ungraded strength.  I've been
planning on using 1" or 1.25" bolts, 3 feet (give or take and boy are
they heavy!) long with a 1/4" X 6 X 6 or even 4 X 4 flat plate welded on
the bottom and a couple of 1/4" thick ears welded on the sides at the
base for my projects.  The thing about hard bolts is they rust more
easily so they have to be protected. You can also tape the threaded
portion that goes through the base. I'll be using a separate base so the
plans call for the bolts to be installed in the base which will then be
lowered over the hole.  The base needs to be leveled and secure  before
the concrete is poured and care used to completely encase the bolt heads
in concrete with no voids.  Protect the threads to allow for re leveling
the base and removing the base after the concrete has cured. Use Tape,
Saran Wrap(TM) or what ever comes to mind.  Then warm them up to about
50C and liberally coat them with thinned tar. If necessary recoat with
tar about twice as thick as the original coat.  If the bolts are clean,
dry, and fairly warm (or hot) the tar will uniformly adhere and not come
off.  it stinks but it works. Also you can get the nuts off if you ever
need to. Just don't heat them enough to take the temper out which is
really hot.

Undoubtedly there are others on here who have alternate methods of
protecting the base hold down bolts.

73

Roger (K8RI)