[TowerTalk] Info/Advice re: Exothermic Welds

Dick Green WC1M wc1m73 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 17:21:45 EDT 2012

The Erico website and their Cadweld catalog contain a wealth of information
on their products:

http://www.erico.com

http://www.erico.com/public/library/fep/LT0355.pdf

They even have a jig to prevent wires from moving.

Until I looked through the catalog, I wasn't aware that they had molds for
rebar. Had I known, I might have gone that route instead of using mechanical
clamps on the rebar in my Ufer ground.

I used many one-shot molds for grounding towers and my single-point ground
with good success. Never had problems with molten metal leaking out of the
molds, probably because I used very large gauge wire: stranded 1/0. Speaking
of stranded wire, I think it's interesting that the conventional wisdom on
this site is to use #2 solid conductor, while virtually all of the
illustrations in the Erico catalog show stranded wire.

Out of dozens of connections, I had ignition failures on maybe two or three
charges. They pack the igniter dust into the bottom of the charge capsule
and you have to be careful when dumping the charge into the mold not to mix
the charge and the igniter. You should slowly pour the charge into the mold,
then lightly tap the capsule to deposit the igniter on top of the charge. A
good bit of igniter has to be directly under the hole in the mold cap to
capture a spark from the flint gun.

I also bought a 4-wire reusable mold for several spots where I had more than
two wires converging. The mold takes a larger, more expensive charge, so it
was still cost effective to use the one-shots for all the 2-wire
connections, and a lot more convenient.

When I did my second tower in 2007, Erico was selling a new kind of one-shot
mold made of Styrofoam. It was very similar to a Styrofoam cup with a
special lid with a hole in the middle to ignite the charge. I had all kinds
of trouble with those molds, keeping them level, keeping dirt out of them,
having them break, lighting the charge, etc. I had some ceramic molds left
over from my first tower project in 1997, and had much better results with
those. Looking through the Cadweld catalog, it appears that Erico has
discontinued the Styrofoam one-shots. Good!

That said, when I first saw the One-Shot Plus molds, I thought they were
made of Styrofoam -- they look exactly like the Styrofoam one-shots. But it
appears that they're made of ceramic, and are designed to be used with their
electronic igniter and new ignition system. That system would be great to
have, but I'll bet it's much more expensive than the old flint gun --
probably only a good idea if you have ton of connections to make.

73, Dick WC1M